Home Products LATHES NOVA NEBULA 18″ SMART DIRECT DRIVE LATHE (SKU 55600)
NOVA NEBULA 18″ SMART DIRECT DRIVE LATHE (SKU 55600)
Explore new frontiers in woodturning with Nebula, the new 2.5HP lathe with smart, direct-drive motor technology from Nova that’s redefining what a full-sized lathe can do. Nebula goes far beyond any other lathe in its class: just a twist of a knob and speed can be adjusted from 100 rpm up to 4000 rpm with no sacrifice in torque. Nebula’s outstanding machine features and specifications include a 360-degree pivoting and sliding head, an 18” (457mm) over bed swing, 35” (890mm) diameter capacity outboard (with optional outrigger kit), and 25” (635mm) between centers. Whether you’re turning large projects or small, Nebula’s unparalleled, smart motor technology from Striatech has an easy-to-use, software-driven controller and provides the ultimate in smooth performance, intelligent control, and power under load.
Smart Direct Drive: With no belts or pulleys, simply choose your material, pick up your chisel, and get to work. The 1 ¼” 8 TPI lathe spindle is the rotor of Nebula’s smart, direct drive motor from Striatech: it has more than enough power (Peak Power 2.5HP at 220V and 2.0HP at 110V) – and high torque power at low rpms – with an instantly adjustable speed range of 100 rpm to 4,000 rpm. It also has a 50 rpm drying mode that’s designed for your finishing processes. Nebula can virtually handle any conceivable project requirement.
Intelligent Computer Control: Nebula software applications open up a whole new universe of lathe control functions that do not exist in traditional wood lathes. Using its superior, direct drive system, all the power you desire is at your fingertips for smooth, vibration-free efficiency over Nebula’s vast speed range.
Wired Remote Controller: RPM display, speed control knob, on/off, also works with braking function. EMS: Emergency Stop Switch. Strong magnet backing for convenient positioning for the user.
Customize Speed Settings: There are 8 speed customizable speed settings. These are convenient for presetting your favorite turning speeds or for presetting specific project speeds (from rough, shaping, fine detail and finishing).
Speed Ramp – Nebula has three speed ramp settings which are customizable in the menu:
- Small Diameter Mode: quickly ramp up to the speed set
- Normal Mode: a moderate speed ramp-up – suitable for most turning situations
- Extra Large Mode (X-Lge/unbalance): slowly ramp up to the set speed – ideal for large, heavy, or unbalanced workpieces
Electronic Braking: . A fundamental part of woodturning is stopping a moving workpiece to examine the cut and shaping progress. Stopping the lathe quickly saves time and is safer than the operator using their hand on the hand wheel or workpiece. With Nebula, you can brake quickly and safely: adjustable electronic braking is set in the menu – from a soft 1% to a substantial 19%.
Three Language Menu: The software menu quickly switches between English, French and German
Power Saving: Nebula has the potential to save up to 80% in power consumption when compared to regular AC/DC powered lathes.
Nebula’s powerful computer-controlled motor also monitors motor conditions, providing the right power to maintain the speed set when varying loads (e.g. chisel cutting force) are applied to the workpiece. As the cutting force varies, the computer only draws enough power to meet the conditions and maintain speed.
Heavy-duty, precision build with a compact footprint: Nebula has a cast iron stand, with extra-wide, adjustable feet, and weighs in at over 530lbs (240kg). Its head swivels a full 360 degrees and slides along the 25” (635mm) bed (between centers). Even smaller shops can take advantage of all Nebula has to offer due to its comparatively compact, overall size: 47”L (1200mm) x 24” W (550mm) x 49” H (737mm)
The 360° swiveling headstock locks at any position and includes locating pin detents at 0°, 22.5°, 45°, 90°, and 180°. The tailstock is self-ejecting. The bed has CAD designed webbing to absorb vibration throughout the bed length and provides exceptional structural strength.
Also included are a knock-out bar, 12” (300mm) Tool Rest, Heavy Duty 2MT Live Center, 2MT Spur Center, 6” (150mm) Face Plate, Remote Controller, Power Lead, USB A-A Cable, 3mm, 10mm, 14mm Allan Keys.
The new Nebula, from Nova, at a glance:
- High-torque, 2.5 HP direct drive motor from Striatech which provides a speed range of 100 rpm to 4,000 rpm along with a 50 rpm Drying Mode
- Heavy duty, cast iron stand
- 18″ Swing with 25″ between centers
- Headstock that swivels 360 degrees and slides along the full length of the bed
- Extra large leveling feet
- 1 1/4″ 8TPI spindle (M33 European model only)
- No transmission power lost through belts & pulleys
- 4.7″ (120mm) laser etched metric and imperial rule
- Coarse, or fine speed adjustment over entire speed range
- (8) Programmable speed settings
- Large/small RPM screen display
- Electronic brake assist option
- Speed chart guide menu/on-screen error mode diagnostics
- Chisel jam sensor/auto shutdown
- Excess vibration sensor/auto shutdown
- Startup Speed Ramp options are safer & beneficial for more extensive work
- Pin Code: Lockout unauthorized user
- 12” (300mm) tool rest
- Wired, movable, remote controller
- Warranty: 5 Years on Mechanical Parts and Components, 2 years on Motor and Electronics*
Additional accessories are available:
Outrigger Assembly – SKU: 55261 Tool rest and Banjo included with the Nebula lathe – a Bed Extension is required for Outrigger use.
Bed Extension – SKU: 55262 Provides 19” (480mm) extra bed length. The Bed Extension is required for use of the Outrigger.